<$BlogRSDURL$>


I am a Yid. I like to rock. Veitur!

- [ Wednesday, September 15, 2004 ] -
 
Zichron Yaakov Minyan
My favorite minyan is only held 6 times a year. It's more of a supplemental minyan, temporarily attracting members of many local synagogues with limited attention spans, limited tolerance for dreying cantors and a limited tolerance for general high-holiday nonsense of the big shuls.

It's the fastest minyan in town, yet the services are very spiritual. A lot of the piyutim that are usually said responsively, are sung in unison. The chazzanim are the same every year and I like them all. They use good melodies, they are quick, loud and clear. No one talks during services and nothing is skipped.

A lot of people say that this time of year is very precious to us, and that we can surely afford the three days to spend a long time in shul. Maybe for you. When I am presented with a minyan that begins at 8:30am and ends after 1pm, I will show up at least 1.5 hours late, sit in the back and talk for the duration. It's not something I can easily control. I don't seem to have the zitsfliesch* required to spend all day in shul and keep the proper mindset. Fighting this urge can take up most of my energy, otherwise better spent on self-reflection and praying.

It's not for everybody, but Zichron Yaakov is certainly appreciated by many. I can't imagine davening anywhere else. This minyan has spoiled me for all others.

Minyan Times at Zichron Yaakov (located this year at the Veitzner Cheder on Touhy):Show up early in the mornings if you need a little more time for Pesukei D'Zimrah.

* Literally - "sitting flesh." Euphamistic for "attention span." Having significant meat on your tush means you can be comfortable to sit and learn, or in this case, daven all day without getting antsy.