<$BlogRSDURL$>


I am a Yid. I like to rock. Veitur!

- [ Thursday, March 18, 2004 ] -
 
Bring Back the Jingle
My opinion on selling your music for use in advertisements:

Not only is it annoying, it's wrong.

How can an artist sell something to consumers, and then go ahead and sell it again to advertisers?

Here's an example:
Bob Seger makes music and puts it on an album. Bob Seger sells albums to people. They can listen to the music at their own leisure. The consumer is very careful not to play it too many times, lest he/she gets sick of it.

Bob Seger goes ahead and sells "Like a Rock" to Chevrolet. Everyone who has access to a radio or TV is assaulted by it and subjugated to hearing only the catchy part of the song ad nauseum.

How can anyone possibly stand to put that song on in their CD player? The album consumer has no choice, but to throw out the album.

Note:
It's not that I'm a big Seger fan. I picked him out because his problem is very widespread. I could say the same thing about Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life," or a local Chicago radio-plague, BTO's "Let it Ride." Additional offenders are Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Ramones, James "I Feel Good" Brown, and too many others. I'm not blaming them necessarily - who couldn't use the money?

What should be done? Have them write 30 seconds of original music. It's done all the time. All music for commercials should be original jingles. I, for one, am a big fan of the "Save Big Money at Menards" song. Great bluegrass jam. The "Empire" jingle is an a cappella classic. And I love the "Fanta" song ("Wanna Fanta").


Comments:
Post a Comment